Skip to main content

Spring Cleaning Part 1 – My Wardrobe


It’s that time of the year where it is warm enough to air the house out and the need to declutter overwhelms me. Last night I watched “Minimalism – a film about the important things” and this morning I showed my sons “The Story of Stuff”. If you haven’t watched either of these then I strongly suggest you do. Both films have motivated me to start the yearly spring clean.

I declutter a lot during the year but now is the time of year where pretty much everything in the house gets reviewed and decided upon. Oh yeah and another sign for me was the Garage Sale Trail advert on telly this morning. Yep, a garage sale is also a good incentive.

Why the wardrobe first?

Lately I have found myself thinking that I don’t have enough clothes or that I don’t have matching clothes. This is when it becomes necessary to do a purge as you not only discover clothes and accessories that you no longer wear, but you discover clothes you love and haven’t worn in a while. I also like to do a bit of a stocktake to see if there is anything that I am truly missing. Right now all I can say is that I need a black skirt for work that fits me properly and that is it. Apart from that on item it seems I do have enough clothes after all.

I am aware that many people find decluttering / spring cleaning / purging (whatever you wish to call it) quite the challenge. So here are some tips to help make in enjoyable and meaningful.

Light a candle and put on some of your favourite music. This is what I do to get me in the zone, it helps make things more mindful for me, do whatever works for you.



Take absolutely everything out of the wardrobe. I like to do it one section at a time so it isn’t so overwhelming.




Carefully go through each and every thing and ask yourself these two questions –
 “Do I still wear it?” and “Do I still love it?”  If the answer is yes put it back in the wardrobe. If not put it in either the donate , sell or throw away pile.



Make your wardrobe user friendly. Make things easy to find. Jumpers with jumpers, dresses with dresses, pants with pants, work clothes separate from casual clothes. Do whatever makes sense to you!



The amazing thing to come from decluttering your wardrobe is that you REALIZE that you do in fact have enough.

Decluttering is not just a process of getting rid of the old so you can replace it with the new. Hopefully it will help us to really think and be mindful of our future purchases before we invite any more STUFF in to our lives.

Note - the drawers and the expanding file in my wardrobe are my office (the whole office!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to find more time and money

Recently I have been involved in helping a friend of mine move house. This particular friend has had to move house for financial reasons and will still be in considerable debt despite the “downsizing”. Something I have noticed in the move is that my friend just simply has too much stuff. Half of the furniture she had was cheap storage furniture to house half of the stuff she no longer used. It took a lot of time to move a lot of things that ended up in the massive rubbish pile in the end. This made me sad because it just seemed like such a massive waste of time and money. But then I thought “He is not alone. He is one of many. This is now considered normal”. Yes it is now normal to just keep buying stuff such as books, dvds, nail polish, shopkins, vases, candles, statues of meerkats and the latest cushions, towels, wall art and hair pins. And then it becomes “essential” to acquire storage for all this stuff. So not only is buying the “stuff” a waste of the earth’s resources an...

Lessons learned from Sovereign Hill

In an effort to gift our children with experiences over stuff we recently took our kids on holiday to Ballarat to visit Sovereign Hill. Instead of getting a 10 th birthday present my son got to choose where we went on holiday this year, so off to Ballarat we went last weekend. Taking your kids on a holiday isn’t exactly more frugal than buying them a birthday present, however we were looking for somewhere to go for a few nights getaway and Sammy got to make the choice. And we are so grateful that he chose Sovereign Hill! So we drove 7 hours in our Honda Civic which costs a total $60 for petrol to get there and packed our own lunch, snacks and drinks. Pretty cheap way to get to another state! We also stayed in a cabin that wasn’t super cheap (say compared to camping) but allowed us to make our own meals. The cabin also had the added benefits of heating (it was 8 degrees!) and it was a 300 metre walk to Sovereign Hill. For those of you that don’t know what Sovereign...

TRY AN EXTREME FRUGAL MONTH

  If experts and the media are to be believed “The Cliff” is coming. I believe they are referring to the financial impact that will hit when Job Keeper and Job Seeker payments cease. The government is doing their best to soften the blow by staggering the dates on which the payments end, due to individual and business eligibility. Hopefully this will help, however a lot of families have already reached their cliff and more will have cliffs around the corner. I believe now is as good (or better) time as any to learn the art of frugality. Try an extreme frugal month Extreme frugality may sound scary to a lot of people and that is why I suggest you give it a go for just one month. See it as a challenge! And if you have teenagers like I do then at least they know there is an end in sight. Extreme frugality can look different to different people. It doesn’t mean renting your house and living in a tent in a farmer’s paddock (but hey if you want to give that a go, I’m sure it would be c...